Deccan Chargers Thursday denied signing Pakistan’s Abdul Razzak for the third season of the Indian Premier League (IPL), saying there was no slot available for an overseas player in their squad.
But the spotlight shifted to Kolkata with Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Sourav Ganguly asserting that his side was interested in roping in the all-rounder.
Razzak, however, insisted that both the teams have shown interest in him. Deccan Chargers team owner Venkatram Reddy denied reports that Razzak has been signed by his franchisee.
“We have not signed Abdul Razzak. We don’t have any slots available,” he said.
Razzak, who severed his ties with rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) last year, was reportedly signed by the Chargers as a replacement for injured West Indian pacer Fidel Edwards.
IPL chief executive officer Sundar Raman said that the Chargers are not left with any money to buy a player.
“Deccan Chargers cannot buy any player because they don’t have enough money left in their purse. If they are seeking a replacement, we are yet to hear about it,” Sundar Raman said.
Razzak said he was in touch with the Chargers as well as KKR.
“I have been approached by the Chargers and I have told them to send me the contract. I am also in talks with Knight Riders and I would love to play for them,” Razzak said.
Meanwhile, speaking to mediapersons, KKR captain Sourav Ganguly said his side had Razzak’s name in their list.
“We had Razzak’s name in our list. We wanted him. We were always interested in him. But we will go by the rules,” Ganguly said.
However, the KKR captain said he had no idea about whether Razzak or other Pakistan players can play in the IPL. “I have no knowledge about it. I read about it this morning in the newspapers. But nobody has told us any thing.”
He said the decision on the Pak players rested completely on the IPL authority and the central government.
Pakistani players were left out by the IPL franchisees in the auction in Mumbai, leading to an uproar over the issue.